Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Comic Book Wednesday: Ask Not For Whom the Bugle Blows

Fable 81. By Bill Willingham and Mark Buckingham. Blue has a heart-to-heart with Rose, and Fabletown gets a new resident. This issue is solicited as the last issue of the "Dark Ages" arc, and that feels like a bit of a false billing, since there is one very significant conclusion, but the big issue is left unresolved. I don't want to get too spoilerly, but honestly, I had a big problem with the way things turn out: while it fits with the characters involved, I thought at least one deserved better, or at least a better speech. (And yes, I know this is horribly vague, but trust me, it's as close as I can come.) In other subplot news: separated from Pinocchio, Gipetto is abducted by a pack of animal Fables. There, that's a clear development, right? Anyway, the art is as good as ever (I especially liked the costumes of Mr Dark), and the writing likewise. I just wish it told a slightly different story. PS. Given the events of this issue, the DC soliticitations for 82 are a complete and utter lie. I felt you should know that.

Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade 3 of 6. By Landry Q. Walker & Eric Jones. Marvel's all-ages line has been burgeoning for quite some time in terms of both number of titles and quality. DC can't quite seem to hit the same level of quality, nor even the all ages portion; a lot of their kid-directed material is for, well, kids. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Supergirl is the exception. It's a fun, zany series about a super-powered girl who has to face high school along with the heroics. This issue, Supergirl deals with a red metorite which gives ordinary people super-powers--but not everyone. The story is resolved in a manner that almost puts it in the realm of silver age superman goofiness, but it fits in the established storyline. And Supergirl has some truly awesome one-liners: "Why are people always launching me into space?!" "I think all I got was the power to talk to fish. Who wants to talk to fish?" It's a fun book.


Green Lantern Corps 33. By Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason. Various subplots are advanced, at no great pace, and paint dries. Seriously, that's what happens. Kyle starts a mural in response to the recent tumults, and the rest of the Lanterns join in to paint the prime coat. I'm really torn for this issue: it's got some really good moments for Kyle and Guy, and I think that some downtime to acknowledge the fallen is important, and now is a good of time as ever, but... well, it's a little boring. And I'd be fine with the slower pace, but the painting also comes with some fairly heavy-handed colour metaphors for the coming Darkest Night storyline, which is really irritating. So this is a flawed issue of an otherwise generally really good series.

That's all for now, folks. I'm going to just sit here and listen to the rain. (Yes, rain in February. I ain't in Saskatchewan no more...)

Later Days.

No comments: