Friday, May 8, 2009

Still Worth It

I am feeling really good about things at the moment. It's interesting how quickly emotions can flip like that, because I was NOT feeling that way about 12 hours ago.

That's because about 20 hours ago, I made a Bad Decision: to scan an entire class worth of secondary reading in a single sitting. Difficulties ensued (basically, an antique scanner, file size restrictions, and about 600+ more pages than I had thought), and my own stubbornness insisted I see it out rather than let common sense prevail, and, long story short, I was not a very happy camper when I finally got home last night (and very nearly this morning). As a sort of reward for myself, I decided to stay up even longer and watch the season finale of a show that I was saving for just such a down-in-the-dumps moment.

And man, I'm glad I did. The episode had a lot of truly great scenes, but the crowning moment was the montage at the end. And the accompaniment was perfectly chosen-- I honestly haven't been that moved by a piece of music in a TV show since Seinfeld's brilliant use of Time of Your Life. It was so good, I'm not even going to tell you what show it was--I'd like to keep it to myself a little longer. (Do feel free to guess.)

The other thing that has me in a good mood is that I FINALLY received my final mark for last term. It's really, really good, so I'm not going to complain, but I imagine anyone that didn't do so well would be rather displeased at having wait quite this long. I also find it kind of odd that I do much, much better in my 18th century courses than my supposed specialty, but again, I'm not going to complain.

The third (and least; some people build up, I build down) reason I'm in a good mood is that I talked to the grad chair yesterday, and I finally feel like I've got a firm direction mapped out for my studies. I'd be more pleased about this, but he was convinced I should learn Japanese for my language requirement, which seems... foreboding. I mean, since my area is video games, it would be the most useful, but still... but that's jumping ahead a bit. Next step: finding a supervisor.

So. It's Friday, the weekend's ahead, and it's a beautiful day outside. (20 degrees. Enjoying your snow, Saskatchewan?) I'm feeling good. How are you?

Later Days.

No comments: