Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Quotations: I Swear, I'll Finish This Book Some Day

"And if the ‘now’ that I can be is indeed invented in the now, in the clock, in the what, is not the what truly constructive of this who in the possibility of now as now? Or rather does the clock only give the occasion for access to a who constituted elswhere as now, before all clocks, before any determined what, in the very gap of what?" --Bernard Stiegler, Technics and Time vol. 1.

"If Derrida and Heidegger conceived a child, and then gave that child philosophy steroids and several years in prison to do nothing but think, you would have Bernard Stiegler." --comment by a fellow graduate student. Not me, but I kind of wish it was.

To be fair to Stiegler, the who/what/clock/now discussion is a lot clearer in context. But not that clear.

Later Days.

No comments: